Almost everyone is familiar with that icebreaking question that we often use to get to know someone “What do you do?” Upon hearing my response, I cannot even begin to count the number of people who have either asked “why” or have looked at me askance. College professors have encouraged me to further my education, business people have encouraged me to shoot for the top and climb the corporate ladder, customers and friends have asked me what I want to do with my life, and most, if not all, are more than slightly perplexed by my choice of careers when “the world is at my fingertips.” What is it I do? I’m in retail sales and education; basically, I sell sewing machines and then teach people how to use them. But wait, don’t stop reading, because I have shared five reasons for my career choice which will perhaps shed some light on “what I do.”
Reason #1: I have CHOSEN this because I am a lifelong student. While many view me in the role of the instructor, in the time I have been teaching, I have found that I learn as much from the individuals I teach as they do from me. Each and every day I am surrounded by people I can learn from and who will challenge me. My life, my career is a journey. May it always challenge me to move forward, push to new levels, and grow to new heights.
Reason #2: I have CHOSEN this because I daily have the chance to express my own creative voice. Mine is an industry of art, and any art is a form of self-expression. Often, these art forms are relegated to “off-the-clock hours” or weekends when not at one’s day job. They become recreational activities that receive only the energy that’s left over after the day is done to relax and release. My choice is one in which I am surrounded by creative vision all the time and one in which I enjoy the freedom to express that vision.
Reason #3: I have CHOSEN this because it is filled with life and passion. Now, with the understanding that you do not have to do what I do in order to be filled with life and passion, it is still one of the top reasons for my choice. My industry is one that is filled with life and color. Dreams and inspirations dance like fairies in creative minds, waiting to come to life. Those of you who have gotten glimpses into my mind, know that it is very type A and very active; usually thinking much faster than my embroidery machine can even stitch. A creative space, a creative mind: neither should ever be sterile, but filled with life.
Reason #4: I have CHOSEN this because it allows me to share life and passion with others. Perhaps one of the two most profound reasons behind my choice, I am daily humbled by the privilege I have to share my passion with others. With each teaching experience, I have the opportunity to share laughter, creativity, energy, and joy. Are these not some of the most precious things in life we can share? If this were my only reason, it would be enough. Each day I have the opportunity to invite someone to come in, sit down, let go, and say “yes.” No, my invitation is not always accepted, but knowing that those who did accept have left happier than when they came is enough.
Reason #5: I have CHOSEN this because I LOVE it. No, this is not an “I’m in transition” thing. No, I’m not in this because it’s what I started in high school and haven’t moved on to a “real career” yet. No, I’m not doing this because it’s “what was available” or because it fell in my lap. I have CHOSEN (yes, chosen) this because I love what I do. The previous four reasons all combine (with many others as well) to lead me to this: I LOVE WHAT I DO! I love the challenge, the growth, the passion, the opportunity to share, and the creativity. With as much energy as a full-time job takes in one’s life, why not do something you love? “I’d rather be doing nothing at all, than do something I don’t love. (What happens in Vegas)” While most everyone who is taking the time to read this knows me well enough to know that I could never do nothing without going stark-raving mad, it is interesting to note that Hollywood gets this. We don’t all have the opportunity to make a career out of something we love, but we would be fools to pass up those opportunities when they present themselves.
What do I do? I daily try to touch the lives of others, however briefly, by presenting the opportunity for healthy self-expression, providing a safe creative space, and encouraging and allowing them to say “yes” to a creative vision. And, my life is equally touched by the shared creativity, growth, and passion. How could I resist a choice like that?
Please bear with me as my blog continues to be "under construction." My template doesn't seem to allow comments at this time, but we'll have it up and running to its full capacity as soon as possible.;-)
Posted by
Joanna
0 comments:
Post a Comment